Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

the essentials

Sunday started with some Essential Calvin and Hobbes for K who is teaching himself to read these days: "Mama, there are words that, no matter how I try, I will never get out of my head. When I look at them, I just know what they are, and I always will now. No matter what."....

...and ended with a new little friend who we'd never met before. This guy's a banded alder borer beetle. He was very friendly and very, very handsome with his black and white suit on. We learned a little about him, found out where he likes to live, what he likes to eat, what he looks like when he's a baby... and then we let him go.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm! Looks a lot like the black spruce beetles that we have here. @Wherever we camp!) They fly around drunkenly and as you watch them they always, always head right for your face. Yuk! Len laughs at me trying to avoid them. Blah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful beetle! My son would sure like to find one of those. Congrats on your son reading. I'm so happy when I see mine reading.

    ReplyDelete